The William Leishman Memorial Trophy was held by the Ayr Petanque Club.
On a dull morning fourteen players from Ayr, Perth and Twecher ,guess who, turned up bright eyed and bushy tailed to compete for the elegant new WLM Trophy on APP’s piste at the Scottish Bowling Centre in Ayr.
A disappointing number of competitors considering Troon, the hotbed of west coast pétanque, is but a stone’s throw up the road – perhaps the 10:30 start was a tad early for Chuck McCosh!
Six teams were formed, four doubles and two triples, using Adrian’s unique ’card trick’ method and played a five game round robin.
The weather held, cool one minute, a hint of rain then jumpers off the next, and play commenced at 10:30.
At lunch time the raffle was drawn – a sumptuous affair, the prizes outnumbering the players about four to one – see what you Troonies missed!
The outcome of the Trophy went to the wire but Mary, Monica and Adrian held on defeating Charles and John in the final round to win all five games.
The trophy was presented by William Leishman’s daughter Pat Ashwell, who was visiting from Brighton, to the winners Mary, Monica and Adrian.
The full result was –
1. Mary McGregor (Ayr) Monika Toli (Ayr) Adrian Ford (Ayr) 5W +28
2. Fiona Eaglesham (Ayr) Douglas Hamilton (Perth) 4W +27
3. Jean and Henry Hutcheson (Perth) 2W +9
4. Rae McIntosh (Ayr) Lesley Mathieson (Ayr) 2W -11
5. John Watson (Birds & Bees) Charles Docherty (Troon) 1W -16
6. Enid Gray (Ayr) Jane Wallace (Ayr) Alice Sheach (Perth) 1W -23
An friendly open competition, immaculately run by APP‘s members, was enjoyed by all.
(Apologies to Troon, you were represented by Charlie D!)